Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mae-Fi for MeeGo Harmattan



I have been working on a new application for the Nokia N9 and N950, which I call "Mae-Fi".  It is a simple Eye-Fi application written in Qt/QML, with a Python backend.

For those that do not know, Eye-Fi refers to a series of SD cards by the same name that have a Wi-Fi capability.  Their use is primarily for transferring images wirelessly from your camera (DSLR or P&S) to your computer or to online photo sharing sites. 

I have often taken some nice shots with my DSLR, but lack a convenient way of viewing or sharing them via e-mail until they are downloaded to my home network.  Eye-Fi cards can be set to use preconfigured networks, with sharing to online services, or FTP.  With FTP protocol, however, the images are first sent to Eye-Fi servers, and then back to your FTP server.  This is not ideal for my use case, as I do not like my photos being sent unnecessarily to online sites.

Eye-Fi does have dedicated apps that work with a Direct Mode, which enables transfer of images between the card and a mobile device.  As one would expect, the platforms where such functionality exist are iOS and Android.

Being a Maemo/MeeGo enthusiast, I thought I would try my hand at making an application for Harmattan.
Mae-Fi makes use of a python script called eyefiserver.  It was written originally by Jeff Tchang.  The N9 and N950, being mobile Linux computers, are able to easily use this script as-is.  I created some hooks to tie it back to a Qt/QML user interface.

The application has a start/stop button which enables the python script to start listening for the Eye-Fi card.  It also has buttons which launch the Hotspot and the built-in gallery application so that you can connect to the Eye-Fi card, and view images that get transferred to the N9/N950.

Requirements for running Mae-Fi are:

1. Nokia N9 or N950
2. Eye-Fi X2 card with Ad-Hoc capability.  Since Harmattan does not support infrastructure mode in its Hotspot, the more expensive X2 cards are required.
3. Hotspot mode on N9 or N950.
4. Eye-Fi Card configured to use the N9/N950 hotpot in Ad-Hoc mode
5. Eye-Fi Card with Relayed Transfer mode disabled.
6. Upload key from your Eye-FI card.

Mae-Fi can be seen running in a YouTube video I created a few weeks ago.  It shows the Eye-Fi card connected to my N950 hotspot, and also shows the transfer of a picture from my DSLR to the N950.



A more recent screenshot of Mae-Fi can be seen below:



Mae-Fi is close to being ready for distribution.  I need to add a way of entering the Upload key in the application, and I would like to add some visual indicator of image transfer within the application itself.




Digg Technorati Delicious Google Bookmark slashdot

5 comments:

timsamoff said...

Really cool, Sanjeev!

EIPI said...

Thanks, Tim!

Gexton said...

I am impressed your blog because your blog words is very impressiveness for business growths so thanks a lot for sharing this
cheap Mobile cards

Firoz Khan said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I really enjoyed To See it.
iphone data recovery
recover iphone contacts
recover deleted text messages iphone
Thanks

Md. Faisal Mahmud said...

Really this post were included very helpful information for everyone. I got many important data from this.

Emergency Dentist Manhattan NY